directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC] Status update
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 09:24:05 GMT
  On 8/6/10 10:14 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi dev,
Hi Stefan, Kasun,
> the GSoC 2010 is in it's final stage.
>
> Kasun did a great job till now. From an existing entry it is possible
> to generate a Java Bean class and a DAO class. The DAO class uses the
> new LDAP API in version 0.1. In a wizard all required information is
> collected from the user.
>
> The 9th of August is "soft" pencils down date. Till this date the
> project should be finished. I expect that all remaining issues [1] are
> resolved till then.
>
> The 16th of August is pencils down date. This week should be used to
> to cleanup the code and to write some documentation.
>
> Here is a random list what should be done till then:
> - Code cleanup (e.g. remove code duplications)
> - Some improvements in the wizard (e.g. re-arrange widgets, sort
> attribute list, pre-select all attributes of the entry, exclude
> objectClass attribute)
> - Complete unit tests to cover core code
> - Complete Javadoc
> - Write a simple user guide

I would suggest starting with unit tests. They are the absolute
guarantee that we can move on and modify the code without breaking it.
Code cleanup is dangerous if we don't have unit tests.

May I suggest we also tag the code when the 'soft' pencil down date is
reached ? This would help if we need to revert some commits, if for
instance we go too far in the cleanup and we don't have a running code,
for instance :)
> And some nice-to-have items, if there is time:
> - Add unit tests to test that the generated code is correct
> - Generate a maven project including a pom.xml with all required dependencies
> - Generate test classes for the maven project (see example project)
>
> I'll create new Jiras for those items.

Thanks a lot and great job from bot of you !
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan
>
> PS: I hope that Kasun will continue his good work after the GSoC
> project. I have so many ideas for the future:
> - Make the tool extensible so that wizards and templates for other
> languages and LDAP APIs can be supported
> - Add support for relationships between LDAP entries
> - Analyze the whole DIT
yeah, my wish too. If things goes well, I also expect that it ends with
a vote to grant Kasun commit access.

--

Regards,
Cordialement,