directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lack of logs for the ACI sunsystem
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:11:50 GMT
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> I'm going deeper, and start finding some bugs in the subsystem, plus many
> redondant operations.
>
> Sounds good, however, the lack of logs makes it *very* difficult to
> understand what's going on when debugging the whole stuff.
>
> We are now at a point where if we want to give some help to our users, we
> *need* to provide a way to understand what's going on : there is no way we
> will step into the code checking the users' ACIs to see what's going wrong
> everytime a user has a problem with an ACI.
>
> I suggest we add some dedicated loggers, like a ACI_LOG logger, which will
> only gather the ACI related traces. If we want to see what's gone wild, we
> just have to enable this specific logger and check the logs.
>
> We should also have other specific loggers, like :
> - encoder/decoder logger (or PDU logs)
> - search filter logger (to know which filter is responsible for the
> rejection of an entry)
> - SP/Triggers logger
> - Ldap session logger (and it should be possible to activate such a log for
> a single session)
> - Authentication logger
> - backend logger
> - replication logger
> - cache logger (what is in cache, what is not)
>
> There may be more, but at least, we should think about such a system. It may
> be added later (like for 2.1), and it should be dynamic, but it's mandatory
> IMO.

I agree with it, I often ended up with endless entries with various
levels in log4j.properties
to get the debug log statements from a particular
subsystem(replication in my case) only
as I need to set the root level to DEBUG I need to turn off many other loggers.

or may be we need to use log4j.xml file which offers much more
flexible configuration(AFAIK)
this option if solves our purpose then is the way to go instead of
dealing with many loggers

will see how the log4j xml config works, if anyone of you guys used it
in the recent time please reply this saves sometime :)

thanks Emmanuel

Kiran Ayyagari