directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subentries handling refactoring
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:03:11 GMT
have not touched this part of the server so here are some (naive) questions

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> we have serious issues with the way we manage subentries in the server. Not
> that it's not working, but it's certainly not good enough for anything but a
> toy server.
>
> Let me first give some heads up about what's going on.
>
> A subentry is associated with an AdministrativePoint (AP), and defines a
> selection of entries which will be affected depending on the AP role. Those
> roles are :
> - Access Control
> - Collective Attributes
> - SubSchema (not active atm)
> - Triggers (ADS specific).
>
> For instance, if we have a tree with a set of entries associated with a
> location (ie, c=France), we may define a subentry with a Collective
> Attribute role telling the server that every entry under the c=France branch
> will have a specific attribute added. We don't have then to add this
> attribute to *every* entry in this branch...
>
> Anyway...
>
> A subentry defines a selection using a filter, and a base DN for this filter
> to be active from.
>
> Right now, a Subentry is attached to an AP as a (quite) normal entry, and
> when we add this subentry, we modidy *all* the selected entries (using the
> subentry filter and the base DN) will be modified to have a new attribute
> added.
AFAIU we update all the entries with this new info, do we really need
to do this?
is it done that way to avoid any search evaluation costs?

> This added attribute contains a DN poiting to the associated
> subentry, so that when we process this entry, we can immediately know that
> it's associated with an AP.
>
> So far, so good : processing an entry is fast, as we have all what we need
> when we have the entry. But the dark side is that if we have millions of
> entries, when we add an AP and a subentry, we may have to modify potentially
> *millions* of entries to add this attribute. Not good...
>
> How can we improve this process ?
>
> The idea would be to search for the APs when we process an entry, but it has
> to be fast. How can we do that ? Simple : we use the entry's DN and using a
> DN cache, we can get all the APs associated with an entry knowing its DN.
> It's as costly as the depth of the entry's DN. Once we have grabbed the APs,
> we will have to evaluate the entry to know if it's part of the selections
> defined by the APs' subentry. Done.
>
> Is it costly ? Only marginaly compared to the current algorithm, as we have
> to lookup for the AP, when we have this list in an Attribute in the current
> server. But we spare the big modifications when adding - or
> removing/renaming/moving - a subentry.
>
> What we just need is a APs cache and a way to process it.
>
> This is what I will work on in the next few days if nobody objects or find a
> better algorithm.

how about having a Index on subEntry instead of a cache, one immediate
advantage I see is
that we don't need to cache DNs which will help in minimizing the
modify() operation's time.
Many random thoughts about how this can be implemented are running in
my mind at the moment, but need some feedback if this Index based idea
is correct which means I
understood the problem correctly

thanks Emmanuel

Kiran Ayyagari

Mime
View raw message