directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update about subtree problems
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:53:48 GMT
  On 7/20/10 7:46 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>    Thinking about my previous mail, I may have an idea :
>>
>> what if we don't store the subentry's DN into the selected entries
>> operational attributes, but the subentry's entryUUID ? This value
>> *never* changes, we have an index on it, we can also easily build a
>> cache for it.
>>
>> It will solve the problems I mentionned with the move and rename
>> operations, I think.
>>
>> thoughts ?
>>
> Sounds good. Pretty sure that AD uses UUID references everywhere too,
> for similar reasons.
>
> I've suggested a few times in the past that LDAP needs a
> UUIDAndProvisionalName syntax. The UUID would always be present; the
> DN may be present but may or may not be correct/up to date. (Of
> course, it may seem senseless to carry a DN around if it isn't always
> going to be correct, but the point is to reserve a space to put it for
> when you do know the correct name, that's all.)
Funny enough, I was also thinking about a similat solution, but I would
have named it something like UUIDOrProvisionalName :) So that you can
store either an UUID or a DN.

The problem now is that the existing AT subschemaSubentry and
collectiveAttributeSubentries have a DN syntax... So I had to create two
new AT to store an UUID.

May be the RFC 3671/2 need an update ?

--
Regards,