directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Update about subtree problems
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:46:22 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>    Thinking about my previous mail, I may have an idea :
>
> what if we don't store the subentry's DN into the selected entries
> operational attributes, but the subentry's entryUUID ? This value
> *never* changes, we have an index on it, we can also easily build a
> cache for it.
>
> It will solve the problems I mentionned with the move and rename
> operations, I think.
>
> thoughts ?

Sounds good. Pretty sure that AD uses UUID references everywhere too, for
similar reasons.

I've suggested a few times in the past that LDAP needs a
UUIDAndProvisionalName syntax. The UUID would always be present; the DN may be
present but may or may not be correct/up to date. (Of course, it may seem
senseless to carry a DN around if it isn't always going to be correct, but the
point is to reserve a space to put it for when you do know the correct name,
that's all.)

--
   -- Howard Chu