directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update about subtree problems
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:17:56 GMT
  On 7/20/10 10:53 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If you have to move data in a Ldap base, User, then you have to pay the
>> price !
>>

> Well yes but even renames cost the same as moves if the DN is in the entry.
> Someone changing an ou=People to ou=Users containing 100 Million entries
> should not expect to wait hours before it completes. Plus the atomicity
> issue is seriously nasty. The DN embedded into the Entry was definitely not
> the way to go. In fact Kiran and Seelmann's new RDN index to replace the DN
> index saved us big time making these operations atomic, faster and safer.
Faster, I don't know, but IMO, it's irrelevant. Safer, that's absolutely
certain. But then you have the exact same problem with the subtree
implemented approach : no atomicity, slow rename/move operations, even
for normal entries, and no atomicity...

This is what bugs me : why should we apply a strategy for DN and the
opposite one for subentries...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,