directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Lack of logs for the ACI sunsystem
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:48:22 GMT
  Hi guys,

I'm going deeper, and start finding some bugs in the subsystem, plus
many redondant operations.

Sounds good, however, the lack of logs makes it *very* difficult to
understand what's going on when debugging the whole stuff.

We are now at a point where if we want to give some help to our users,
we *need* to provide a way to understand what's going on : there is no
way we will step into the code checking the users' ACIs to see what's
going wrong everytime a user has a problem with an ACI.

I suggest we add some dedicated loggers, like a ACI_LOG logger, which
will only gather the ACI related traces. If we want to see what's gone
wild, we just have to enable this specific logger and check the logs.

We should also have other specific loggers, like :
- encoder/decoder logger (or PDU logs)
- search filter logger (to know which filter is responsible for the
rejection of an entry)
- SP/Triggers logger
- Ldap session logger (and it should be possible to activate such a log
for a single session)
- Authentication logger
- backend logger
- replication logger
- cache logger (what is in cache, what is not)

There may be more, but at least, we should think about such a system. It
may be added later (like for 2.1), and it should be dynamic, but it's
mandatory IMO.

thoughts ?

--
Regards,