directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Midterm Evaluations failed for LDAP diagnostic tool plugin to Apache Directory Studio
Date Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:00:36 GMT
Hi Keheliya,

Actually there is no mistake in the filling of the form, as I've ended my evaluation with
a 'fail' mark.

Believe me, I took this midterm evaluation very seriously and it was hard for me to come to
that decision.

Let me explain why.

It has nothing to do with your commitment in the Apache Directory project community, nor you
as a person, as I really enjoy mentor and help you.

This is only a matter of being fair. Being fair to you, being to the Google Summer of Code
program and being fair to myself with "Mentor" hat on.

Considering the already elapsed time and the amount of code and documentation produced so
far, and their quality, I think it's fair to say that all the requirements aren't met and
are insufficient.

By that, I don't mean that you didn't work at all and there were not a progression and improvements
(you did improve) in your work through weeks. But, in my opinion (and the thoughts I have
been gathering from the other people in the community before writing the evaluation), as up
to now, your work is still not been sufficient enough.

I tried to guide you as best as I could, in order to help you understand how to divide the
projects into components, how this components behaves to one another, and how to write good
code (maintainable and easy to read by others).

This project is a pretty interesting one but it is also somehow a complex one, with technical
requirements you had to learn in the beginning of the project.
I was pretty confident that you would learn this easily and efficiently, but, was probably
(and that's my fault) too optimistic.

Whatever happens and if you're still interested in continuing the work on the project (even
outside of a GSoC program), I'd be happy to continue help you moving forward.

I hope you understand my judgement and I'm available to discuss it with you.

Best regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 17 juil. 2010, at 03:40, Keheliya Gallaba wrote:

> Hello Pierre Arnaud and Carol,
>
> I'm wondering why I have not passed the Midterm Evaluations happened since I kept in
touch with the community, continued development at [1] and as I know, filled all midterm evaluations
too. Please look into this as soon as possible since it may have been a mistake when filling
out the forms by our side or when processing them.

> [1] http://code.google.com/p/dirstudio-ldap-proxy/

plugin to Apache Directory Studio with Apache Software Foundation.

> From our data it seems that you have not passed the Midterm Evaluations. This is either
due to your mentor failing you or due to a missing evaluation from you, the student. Please
contact your mentor to discuss the results of your evaluation. If the issue is that you have
not yet submitted the required evaluation, please contact the program administrator as soon
as possible so we can work on getting this situation rectified.