On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
 Hi guys,

while working on the ACI parser, I hit a wall : if we want the parsed ACI to be used directly in the server without having to convert EntryAttributes to JNDI Attribute, we have to make the ACI parser schema aware. As it's a good idea to do so, I checked if it was possible.

Sadly, the ACI parser is part of the shared-ldap module, when the SchemaManager is in a separate module, depending on shared-ldap.

In order to solve this issue, I see no better way than creating a new module (shared-aci), any other solution would be a real PITA (like post-processing the ACI once parsed to inject the schemaManager into the elements).

I will try to create this new module, and will give you some feedback.

Please feel free to comment.

Perhaps there's some functionality in the SchemaManager that can be separated out into another class to be put into the shared area. Or as another option the SchemaManager functionality for dealing with schema lookups can be separated and put into shared.

Basically my thinking is as follows:

  o the parser just needs to be schema aware
  o being schema aware (read-only) can be achieved either with non-SchemaManager components or a new SchemaManager implementation

If the SchemaManager interface has write based methods the interface can be broken down into two separate interfaces to compose the SchemaManager interface. Then the read only component of this contract can be placed and implemented within shared.

The read only component need not interact with the DS since nothing needs to be changed in the registries. It's there for lookups. The code there can then be reused elsewhere like in the server.

This just shows us that the SchemaManager interface needs to be further decomposed. Whether this warrants another shared module (shared-aci) perhaps is up for debate.

 --
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org