directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Trunk is stable again !
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:06:39 GMT
Works fine for me too.

Congrats Emmanuel!

On 23 juin 2010, at 19:19, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

> I can confirm, trunk build fine now.
>
> Thanks Emmanuel!
>
> On 6/23/10 6:53 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Pfewww... It took me more than one day to stabilize the trunk again.
>>
>> Why so long ? Simple :
>> - I don't have my fast MBP, and I had to restore my dev env on 2 machines (at home
and at office). That only is a painful and slow process, with eclipse, java, maven, subclipse
installation (not to mention an Ubuntu update)
>> - on those two machines, compiling the full server takes more than 20 minutes...
>> - At first, I thought I could find the issue by debugging the code. How vain is this
... But certainly cost half a day !
>> - I then had to find the revision that was working. It took me something like 10
reverts and full builds to get this revision, and I had to go back 30 revisions, then 10 revs
forward.
>> - Again, I tried to take a shortcut by moving 10 revs forward, and fix the issue.
Vain, I said, vain...
>> - so back to painful revert and moving forward one revision after the other one,
and removing what was wrong.

>> At the end, I was bale to find what was wrong, and to keep it out of our path :
>> - first a small issue with conccurent test (taht was really easy to find and fix)
>> - second a brutal modification done by me that imapcted the whole server with many
strange errors (basically,  I removed the AlteredEntry field from the ModificationOperationContext
class, as we already have a ModifiedEntry in an abstract Class. bad bad move...