directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New module for the ACI parser needed
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:36:42 GMT
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi guys,
>
> while working on the ACI parser, I hit a wall : if we want the parsed ACI
> to be used directly in the server without having to convert EntryAttributes
> to JNDI Attribute, we have to make the ACI parser schema aware. As it's a
> good idea to do so, I checked if it was possible.
>
> Sadly, the ACI parser is part of the shared-ldap module, when the
> SchemaManager is in a separate module, depending on shared-ldap.
>
> In order to solve this issue, I see no better way than creating a new
> module (shared-aci), any other solution would be a real PITA (like
> post-processing the ACI once parsed to inject the schemaManager into the
> elements).
>
> I will try to create this new module, and will give you some feedback.
>
> Please feel free to comment.

Perhaps there's some functionality in the SchemaManager that can be
separated out into another class to be put into the shared area. Or as
another option the SchemaManager functionality for dealing with schema
lookups can be separated and put into shared.

Basically my thinking is as follows:

  o the parser just needs to be schema aware
  o being schema aware (read-only) can be achieved either with
non-SchemaManager components or a new SchemaManager implementation

If the SchemaManager interface has write based methods the interface can be
broken down into two separate interfaces to compose the SchemaManager
interface. Then the read only component of this contract can be placed and
implemented within shared.

The read only component need not interact with the DS since nothing needs to
be changed in the registries. It's there for lookups. The code there can
then be reused elsewhere like in the server.

This just shows us that the SchemaManager interface needs to be further
decomposed. Whether this warrants another shared module (shared-aci) perhaps
is up for debate.

 --
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org