directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What should we do with apacheds-server-tools ?
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2010 11:09:42 GMT
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> this module is broken since, pfeww, september 11 2008 (what a
>> coincidence ! Bad things always happen on 11/09...)
>>
>> The question is : should we keep going and fix this module or should we
>> move it to the deceased projects ? A thrd option would be to make this
>> module a separate project we can release separately from ADS 2.0.
>>
>> Wdyt is the best ?
>
> I think we need to provide some CLI tools for administrating the server.
>  At least we need a tool to re-build the index and to backup and restore
> the data in LDIF format including all operational attributes. Similar to
> OpenLDAP's slapindex, slapcat, and slapadd.
>
> IMO the problem with the current tools is that they are dedicated to
> JDBM partitions and directly works on the *.db files.
>
> Instead I think we should build those tools into the partition
> implementation.
the main problem with such a implementation in partition is that
we *use* the indices while fetching the data leading to a concurrent
modification issue
One way to avoid this is to write the data into the index after
keeping it at a different
location and later overwriting the original index file, but sadly this
is again partition specific
cause not all partitions store the data in same way.

Kiran Ayyagari