directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What should we do with apacheds-server-tools ?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:06:16 GMT
On 6/4/10 4:56 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:

>> The question is : should we keep going and fix this module or should we
>> move it to the deceased projects ? A thrd option would be to make this
>> module a separate project we can release separately from ADS 2.0.
>>
> - From an administrators POV (who doesn't like GUIs anyway) I'd say we
> still need them. How to make a e.g. a dump on a server machine? Using
> studio (hopefully the requested admin function exists in studio) and
> then doing an ssh X-Forward tunnel and get the dump on the local machine
> instead on the server?

It all depends on which command we are talking about here. On any linux
box, you have many tools like ldapadd or ldapsearch existing. No need to
rewite those guys (just because starting a command which spawns a JVM is
too freaking slow).

But when it comes to those admin commands, then yes, we should offer a
non GUI tool for the admin.

One interesting idea would have been to use a tool like ldapvi, or even
better, writing our own GUI.

The only problm I have right now with the current approach, is that we
don't fix the existing issues, we just postpone them over and over. At
this point, if we don't move the project to the attic, then I really
think it should be a side project, like the Ldap API.

One good thing about having this as a side project : it's less
intimidating for someone who want to become a committer to start by
playing around such a piece of code, as it won't break the main server.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,