directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Move classes of module core-mock to src/test/java of core-api
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 00:13:00 GMT
On 6/4/10 1:03 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/10 11:04 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi dev,
>>>
>>> the core-mock module includes some mock implementations of ApacheDS
>>> core-api classes (CoreSession, DirectoryService, etc.). It is only used
>>> as test dependency in ldif-partition.
>>>
>>> To get rid of the core-mock module I'd like to suggest to move those
>>> classes to src/test/java in core-api. To be able to use the test classes
>>> outside of the core-api module we just need to deploy the test jar of
>>> core-api. The using module then needs to specify a dependency with
>>> classifier "tests", see [1] for details.
>>>

>> We also had a discussion with Pierre-Arnaud about those unit tests. Once
>> upon a time, we have had some core-unti and server-unit modules. They
>> have been renamed core-intger and server-integ. So far, so good, but we
>> still have another module called apacheds-test-framework.
>>
>> We do think that the classes we have in core/server-integ - I mean, the
>> classes in java/main, not the tests - should be moved to
>> apacheds-test-framework.
>>
>> That being said, we could also move the core-mock into this
>> apacheds-test-framework module.
>>
>> Does it make sense ?
>>
> I'm afraid that won't be possible because this would cause cyclic
> dependencies.
>
> The integ tests and the test framework start up a real directory service
> with real partitions, including an LDIF based config and schema
> partition, so they depend on the ldif-partition.
>
> The mocks are used because we can't start a real directory service in
> ldif-partion module for unit tests.
>
> But we can run the integration tests against the LDIF partition.

Ok, so we have the exact same problem than with the LDAP API : we had to
extract the api tests and put them in ApacheDS just to be able to launch
a real server.

What about doing the same thing and move all the Ldif-Partition tests
out of the ldif-partition module and put them where they can use the
real DS ?

I mean, tests are not to be close to the part they are testing?

thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,