directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Merge jdbm-store into jdbm-partition
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:16:48 GMT
On 6/4/10 12:01 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/10 10:51 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi dev,
>>>
>>> another easy refactoring is to merge the modules jdbm-store and
>>> jdbm-partiton.
>>>

>> +1. Which one will you keep ? jdbm-store ?
>>
>> To me, a partition is associated with a naming context, not with an
>> underlying store. That implies we should get rid of those XXX-partition
>> to just keep xxx-store, and keep the partitions at a upper layer (ie, core)
>>
> I wanted to keep the jdbm-partition module.
>
> To me the partition is the concept that the core knows. The core knows
> nothing about stores. We also define partitions in the configuration,
> not stores.
>
> This is how I understand the architecture:
>
> 1. The core defines the Partition interface

+1
> 2. XDBM provides an abstract implemementation of the Partition interface
> and additionally defines the Store interface and search engine.

+1
> 3. The JDBM partition is a concrete implementation of the XDBM
> partition. It contains a Store implementation because this is forced by
> XDBM.

Here, I disagree. JDBM  is a store, not a partition. XDBM = XXX-Data
Base Manager, nothing connected to the idea of Partition.
We could probably say that XDBM and Store is the same concept.

But let's discuss this aspect further, I may perfectly be wrong, I'm
just trying to manipulate concepts here.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,