directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing docos : howto ?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:02:59 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:
> On 06/01/10 19:05, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>
>> if we are considering switching back to docbook in place of confluence
>> for our user guid, here is an interesting post :
>> http://blog.discursive.com/blog/1913?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Discursive+(Discursive)
>

>> This guy is using xmlmind which seems to be more convenient than a
>> simple text editor when it comes to edit XML documents ...
>
> Openoffice 3.2 seems also able to export documents as docbook xml (Save
> as ...) as the header of a save document shows:
>
> "
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE article
>   PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
> "
>
> But another question which ish IMO also important is how the site can be
> updated. Using confluence now it's easy - just change it in confluence
> and the site is updated within x minutes. Is this still wanted? And if
> so how it can be done?

The question is if we only want to move the documentation to docbook and
svn, or the complete website?

I think for the website it's easier to manage via confluence. However  a
mix of confluence and docbook is also confusing.

> Does a committer after updating the docs in svn needs to generate and
> deploy the site himself? Or is it done by the CI server (which seems to
> work not very stable)?

Can we run a cron job on people.apache.org? We already have some that
copies the confluence export to the right directories. However docbook
XSL transformation requires lot of memory.

Kind Regards,
Stefan