directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: Some more speed improvement for basic operations
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:18:22 GMT
--On Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:01 AM +0200 Emmanuel Lecharny
<elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> today I finished to clean the rename() operation, and I just have the
> three last operations remaining to be clean, ie move, moveAndRename and
> compare.
>
> In the meantime, I was able to avoid an Entry clone to be done, and this
> has a huge impact on some operations. Here are the result I get with or
> without the clone :
>
> add    : 578/s(with) / 607/s (without) / +5%
> lookup : 19 568/s(with) / 26 542/s (without) / +36%
> search : 19 727/s(with) / 19 560/s (without) / ---
> modify : 1 991/s(with) / 2103/s (without) / +5%
> delete : 248/s(with) / 248/s (without) / ---
>
> As we can see, the lookup is really faster with such a modif. The other
> operations aren't that much impacted, the cost of writing on disk kills
> the gain we could have.
>
> One more thing : this is a test done with one single thread, directly on
> top of the core-session.
>
> However, it demonstrates that with enough cache, and a good network
> layer, we should be able to get some good performances out of the server.

Exciting. :)  One of these days soon, I'll have a slamd perf lab again (HW
exists, waiting on installation), so I can draw up some numbers between
OpenLDAP, ApacheDS, and maybe some others.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer