On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

after having checked the Lookup operation, I have done some measurement on the search operation. There is a lot of room for improvement.

As a baseline, I did a test involving a direct search of an entry, knowing its DN, wise an OBJECT scope, an (ObjectClass=*) filter, fetching all its user attributes (*). The base was empty (well, almost).

- when sending the search through the core-api, I got 8269 searches per second
- when sending the search through the client-api (ie, network involved), it's down to 2858 searches per second.

I know those numbers are awful, but anyway, it's just a baseline, not realistic, as we don't have any entry in the base. The idea is to be able to see the direct impact on any optimization done on the search request, as we did on the lookup operation.

I see no reason not to be able to get at least a 2 to 3 times faster search operation considering the kind of search we are doing.

Let's do it !

Yeah I think there is a lot of room for improvement as you say especially for these special cases. I was wondering is this on your laptop or on the big 8 way server?

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org