On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/22/10 4:02 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
     May be this is also the time for considering the new versioning
scheme[1] we discussed last year

Absolutely. We should stop using a versioning scheme that is confusing for most of us, and more important, to users.

The intial reason why we introduced this scheme ws tha we decided to move to Java 1.5, and we thought (how stupidly) that the tomcat scheme (ie, tomcat 5.5 was tomcat version 5 for java 5) was good. It wasn't.

Yeap in hind sight it was a bad move.

So now, I would rather release a 2.0 asap, with milestone. The ne version will be 3.0, with milestone too.

In fact, this is the Httpd version scheme, which is way better. New features can be included in minor versions (2.1, 2.2...) and bug fixes in fix versions (2.0.1, 2.0.2...)

Yes this scheme is much more appealing. However I'm not into this milestone designation. I don't really see the point (perhaps someone might show me in this thread). Let me explain my thinking below.

To me you either have a release or you don't release. With the httpd scheme above you have no need for milestone releases because 2.0.0, 2.1.0, 2.2.0 ... X.Y.0 are milestones in that they introduce new features.  Hence the minor bump.  The micro releases are just bug fix releases that do not introduce new features after the minor ("milestone") release. So this is why this httpd scheme does not need M1, M2 .. a la eclipse style releases.

The next thing we need to talk about is what the major, minor and mico releases signify to our users.  Here's how I look at it in terms of our user agreement:

  o major releases do not guarantee interoperability out of the box since internal and external interfaces, db formats, and the entire architecture may change
  o minor releases guarantee interoperability, interface integrity, db format consistency across releases with architectural stability. New features may be introduced and some features may be enhanced.
  o micro releases are simple bug fix releases which do not introduce anything new

Thoughts?

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org