On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Alex,

I don't insist on those milestone releases. I just find them useful in
this case to be able to release fast, even if not everything is
finished, and to avoid that users think everything is polished.

Right I know what you mean. There's I guess no guarantee for stability although the product release may very well be stable with a milestone release.  The key thing here is how we want to formulate our contract with our users while we release and what cues we give them with our version numbering scheme.

You're right that this is not a major issue (bike shedding): either scheme will work.  I'm just in preference of simple numbers without designators. Let's release fast and release often and let the community know that minor releases in the same major release represents feature additions that don't break with the past.  Subsequent micro releases may patch and stabilize these features.

Anyway, I totally agree with all your other points. So let's go on.

Cool.

Kind Regards,
Stefan