directory-dev mailing list archives

From Keheliya Gallaba <keheliya.gall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First steps for our GSoC students
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 21:56:24 GMT
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

As you have mentioned, I have setup the development environment and
currently going through code while reading about the technologies. I
created a new project at link [1] in Google Code for LDAP Diagnostic
Tool with appropriate commit rights. I guess it is ok to ask questions
I got about the early proxy GUI prototypes like [2] here in the ML and
in IRC as a start.
Eagerly looking forward to get started with next steps of development.

On 3 May 2010 19:06, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:

> Hi dev, students,
>
> According to this page [1], we are currently in the "Community Bonding Period" in which
"Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their
projects".
> The official "start coding" date is May 24th.
>
> Stefan and I are both going to co-mentor our projects. We need to see how this can be
done in the GSoC webapp at Google.

> In the mean time, we'd encourage our students to start setting up their project with
a few tasks.

> *Project creation at Google Code*
>
> We think it would be a good idea for both students to start a new project at Google Code
for their proposal. It's still unclear if GSoC students will be given a temporary SVN commit
access on Apache's Infrastructure, so until a decision comes up, we think it's safer to start
working there.
> Of course, please use an Apache License 2.0 while creating your project.
> Also it would interesting for us, mentors, to be able to commit into those projects too,
so give us the appropriate commit access (if possible).
> My personal Google code email address is: pajbam@gmail.com. Unfortunately, I don't know
Stefan's...

> *Getting familiar with the code and technologies*
>
> We'd also encourage our students to start, if that's not already been done before, getting
familiar and playing with the code. This guide [2] will help.
> - Install Subversion, Maven and Eclipse.
> - Checkout and build Studio.
> - Import the projects in Eclipse and start digging in the code to see how it's architectured.
>
> It's also time to get familiar with the technologies involved in the projects: LDAP and
Eclipse Plugin development (with a little bit of Subversion and Maven).
> - Read books about these technologies
> - Code some experiments in a sandbox area in Subversion.
>
> * Collaboration *
>
> Even if IRC or IM are the best for interactivity, it would be better to have most of
the discussions and questions posted on the 'dev' mailing list.
> This way, we can keep things clearly visible and accessible through the archives for
everyone.

> That's all for today.
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,