directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kasun Lakpriya <kasun.lakpriy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First steps for our GSoC students
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 03:17:14 GMT
Hi pierre-Arnaud,

Me too have setup the environment and currently looking at some
technologies and other project related things. And also as Seelmann
asked me to read about Eclipse run time environment I'm doing that
also. I created a new project at link [1] in Google Code Projects for
my project : Object LDAP Persistence Tooling, with admin rights to you
as well so that you can add Stefan as well when you get his mail
address or if I get I will add.Thank you for tha guidance.

Regards,
Kasun

   [1]- http://code.google.com/p/dirstudio/ldap-tooling

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Keheliya Gallaba
<keheliya.gallaba@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> As you have mentioned, I have setup the development environment and
> currently going through code while reading about the technologies. I
> created a new project at link [1] in Google Code for LDAP Diagnostic
> Tool with appropriate commit rights. I guess it is ok to ask questions
> I got about the early proxy GUI prototypes like [2] here in the ML and
> in IRC as a start.
> Eagerly looking forward to get started with next steps of development.
>
> On 3 May 2010 19:06, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi dev, students,
> >
> > According to this page [1], we are currently in the "Community Bonding Period" in
which "Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working
on their projects".
> > The official "start coding" date is May 24th.
> >
> > Stefan and I are both going to co-mentor our projects. We need to see how this can
be done in the GSoC webapp at Google.

> > In the mean time, we'd encourage our students to start setting up their project
with a few tasks.

> > *Project creation at Google Code*
> >
> > We think it would be a good idea for both students to start a new project at Google
Code for their proposal. It's still unclear if GSoC students will be given a temporary SVN
commit access on Apache's Infrastructure, so until a decision comes up, we think it's safer
to start working there.
> > Of course, please use an Apache License 2.0 while creating your project.
> > Also it would interesting for us, mentors, to be able to commit into those projects
too, so give us the appropriate commit access (if possible).
> > My personal Google code email address is: pajbam@gmail.com. Unfortunately, I don't
know Stefan's...

> > *Getting familiar with the code and technologies*
> >
> > We'd also encourage our students to start, if that's not already been done before,
getting familiar and playing with the code. This guide [2] will help.
> > - Install Subversion, Maven and Eclipse.
> > - Checkout and build Studio.
> > - Import the projects in Eclipse and start digging in the code to see how it's architectured.
> >
> > It's also time to get familiar with the technologies involved in the projects: LDAP
and Eclipse Plugin development (with a little bit of Subversion and Maven).
> > - Read books about these technologies
> > - Code some experiments in a sandbox area in Subversion.
> >
> > * Collaboration *
> >
> > Even if IRC or IM are the best for interactivity, it would be better to have most
of the discussions and questions posted on the 'dev' mailing list.