directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [JDBM] Why Optimistic Concurrency Control is best for LDAP?
Date Sat, 15 May 2010 10:17:08 GMT
Hi guys,

OCC is the best strategy over all for implementing local transactions so we
can have isolation and atomicity in the server. It's the best strategy for
an LDAP DIB because writes are less frequent in LDAP than reads. Presuming
that multiple transactions can complete in most cases without affecting each
other means OCC is more viable. OCC breaks down when there are more
conflicts with intensive write activity as in relational databases requiring
transactions to rollback. This will not be the case for most of our
deployments.

So as we think about building or finding a better BTree implementation than
JDBM we should consider OCC via MVCC in the BTree implementation itself
since we need isolation and atomicity across indices as well as the master
table.

Just some random thoughts.

--
Alex Karasulu