directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Heads up about what's going on
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 05:25:31 GMT
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as many can check on the commits mailing list, a lot of cleanup/refactoring
> is going on currently.
>
> o Many PMD/checkstyle errors or warnings are being cleared by Felix, I
> would like to thank him a lot for handling such a needed task. Please feel
> free to answer his questions as he has not necessarily the clues about the
> parts he is cleaning.
>
> (Just one thing, Felix : it would be more than appreciated if you could run
> the full test suite before committing, as some parts of the code is not
> necessarily as easy to fix as it seems. I'm not blaming you for that, I'm
> just trying to get the process to run more smoothly.)
>
> o Stefan has moved around some modules, as they were just either empty, or
> because their existence was questionnable
>
> o Kiran is continuing his hard work to get the Master-Slave replication
> working, and it's not easy.
>
> o I have cleaned up a bit the JDBM BTree implementation, by adding generics
> to it, removed some recursion, and adding back the tests that were removed.
>
> o Last, not least, I also have cleaned up the 'delete' operation which is
> now slightly faster on my laptop (around 400 deletes per second), by
> removing all the useless calls to lookups, list or normalization. The impact
> is minimal (around 5 %) because most of the time is spent in the backend
> updating indexes and the master table.
>
> In the near future, we have some pretty heavy agenda :
> - finish the master/slave replication system, and test it thouroughly
> - decouple the BTree layer from the IO layer, so that we can have the
> possibility to swap out this part
> - finish the cleanup (PMD/CheckStyle)
> - speedup the add/modify/modifyDN operations
> - remove the brutal synchronization we hav in the backend and replace it
> with something more convenient (either an optimistic concurrent locking, or
> a MVCC system based BTree). We are still investigating this area atm.

Great job guys! Really you're guys moving along very rapidly. I'm a bit
jealous these days for not being in the code with you guys but I'm mighty
proud to see y'all groking the hard stuff without breaking a sweat.

Hey save something for me to do OK :-D.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org