directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mutable Objects
Date Sun, 16 May 2010 10:14:21 GMT
On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:

> >> I suggest to clone such data and return the clone instead.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> > This is not so simple. For instance, in the Value class, we returns the
> > direct internal object for performance reasons. It should be checked
> > case by case.
>
> I can agree the performance reasons. OTOH it's a 'public' class which
> may be used by other (third party) projects as well. For these projects
> we will need to have either a big warning in the javadocs or to
> implement it in a save way.

You're 100% right about that. We have to take precautions to make sure users
of the API do not shoot themselves in the foot. Each case needs to be
analyzed and changes to make some mutable structures immutable must be put
into our roadmap.

Felix this might be something that might help as an exercise for you to get
to know the internals of the server much better. Right now you're of course
invaluable to us in the way you've picked up various tasks.  However you
might find it extremely pleasurable to start tinkering with the more meaty
issues of the server. We have several very interesting problems and
rewarding potential solutions in this architecture. In addition, knowing
your insight and strict approach to following conventions, we would always
love to hear your suggestions on these matters as well.

Regards,
--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org