directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Last thought about ADS 2.0 before crashing ...
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 15:52:24 GMT
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Stefan Zoerner <stefan@labeo.de> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>> I think that until we reach a point where we have a stable 2.0, we should
>> go for 2.0.0-RC1. Then we can abandon this RC stuff.
>>
>> The reason is that we have a hell lot of things to do in order to be
>> production ready for 2.0, including docs and tests (I mean, production
>> tests). We are far from having all those guys finished... Also having a
>> 2.0.0-RC1 will help us to send a message that ADS-2.0-RC1 is finally out
>> there, ready to be tested, and we need feedback. If we release a 2.0 (no
>> RC1) then we might have negative feedback like "it's crap, don't use it !",
>> something we don't want to have for a final version. It *will* take time
>> before we stabilize : remember 1.0-RCs ?
>

> Exactly. The documentation lacks a lot of basic things. Many changes in the
> development have not been applied to the confluence Wiki.
>
> The description on how to embed the server for instance or the way how to
> use ApacheDS in unit tests have to be updated before officially releasing a
> 2.0.
>
> A release candidate gives us a chance to consolidate that.
>
> But we have the same problem as always. Which confluence space to use? Shall
> we reactivate DIRxSRVx20, and move things from 1.5 to there?
when I recently started adding documentation for replication and
config in DIT features I really
felt that confluence is not the best tool to use cause too much
attention is needed to writing the
confluence presentation macros, well they are finite but still I see
it as taking too much time.
May be we should start considering some authoring toolkit like docbook.

StefanZ I have seen your sandbox project, may be we should resuscitate
it and instead of moving confluence
spaces we should push all of that to this docbook format which can be
easily versioned.

what do others think?

P.S:- I for one really want to just write the content and take the
help of experts for presentation details
        and just include those style sheets

Kiran Ayyagari