directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject First steps for our GSoC students
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 13:36:44 GMT
Hi dev, students,

According to this page [1], we are currently in the "Community Bonding Period" in which "Students
get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects".
The official "start coding" date is May 24th.

Stefan and I are both going to co-mentor our projects. We need to see how this can be done
in the GSoC webapp at Google.

In the mean time, we'd encourage our students to start setting up their project with a few
tasks.

*Project creation at Google Code*

We think it would be a good idea for both students to start a new project at Google Code for
their proposal. It's still unclear if GSoC students will be given a temporary SVN commit access
on Apache's Infrastructure, so until a decision comes up, we think it's safer to start working
there.
Of course, please use an Apache License 2.0 while creating your project.
Also it would interesting for us, mentors, to be able to commit into those projects too, so
give us the appropriate commit access (if possible).
My personal Google code email address is: pajbam@gmail.com. Unfortunately, I don't know Stefan's...

*Getting familiar with the code and technologies*

We'd also encourage our students to start, if that's not already been done before, getting
familiar and playing with the code. This guide [2] will help.
- Install Subversion, Maven and Eclipse.
- Checkout and build Studio.
- Import the projects in Eclipse and start digging in the code to see how it's architectured.

It's also time to get familiar with the technologies involved in the projects: LDAP and Eclipse
Plugin development (with a little bit of Subversion and Maven).
- Read books about these technologies
- Code some experiments in a sandbox area in Subversion.

* Collaboration *

Even if IRC or IM are the best for interactivity, it would be better to have most of the discussions
and questions posted on the 'dev' mailing list.
This way, we can keep things clearly visible and accessible through the archives for everyone.

That's all for today.
Thoughts?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud