directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP diagnostic tool - GSoC 2010
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 07:27:22 GMT
Keheliya Gallaba schrieb:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have come up with an architecture diagram [1], with the help of
> Seelmann, for the LDAP diagnostic tool explaining the functionality of
> the core. I thought of implementing the initial phase with JNDI and
> moving to the new client API later. Please send your suggestions for
> this approach, and about the existing code components I can reuse, from
> Directory Studio.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/dirstudio-ldap-proxy/wiki/ArchitectureDiagram

When I look to this picture it reminds of the Wireshark tool. I looks
like the "LDAP Proxy Core" only listens to the communication stream. But
my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the proxy
really intercepts the communication.

Another though regarding JNDI and the new client API: I'm not sure if
you can work with such high-level API at all. You have to deal with
low-level LDAP messages, maybe you have to learn ASN.1.

An example: one use case of the tool is to just log the LDAP messages
but leave them unmodified. In that case JNDI can't be used because you
can't control the message it creates. However you should take a look
into the LDAP API code and how it uses the underlying network layer
(Apache Mina) to send LDAP requests.

Kind Regards,
Stefan