directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Heads up about what's going on
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 00:45:28 GMT
Hi guys,

as many can check on the commits mailing list, a lot of
cleanup/refactoring is going on currently.

o Many PMD/checkstyle errors or warnings are being cleared by Felix, I
would like to thank him a lot for handling such a needed task. Please
feel free to answer his questions as he has not necessarily the clues
about the parts he is cleaning.

(Just one thing, Felix : it would be more than appreciated if you could
run the full test suite before committing, as some parts of the code is
not necessarily as easy to fix as it seems. I'm not blaming you for
that, I'm just trying to get the process to run more smoothly.)

o Stefan has moved around some modules, as they were just either empty,
or because their existence was questionnable

o Kiran is continuing his hard work to get the Master-Slave replication
working, and it's not easy.

o I have cleaned up a bit the JDBM BTree implementation, by adding
generics to it, removed some recursion, and adding back the tests that
were removed.

o Last, not least, I also have cleaned up the 'delete' operation which
is now slightly faster on my laptop (around 400 deletes per second), by
removing all the useless calls to lookups, list or normalization. The
impact is minimal (around 5 %) because most of the time is spent in the
backend updating indexes and the master table.

In the near future, we have some pretty heavy agenda :
- finish the master/slave replication system, and test it thouroughly
- decouple the BTree layer from the IO layer, so that we can have the
possibility to swap out this part
- finish the cleanup (PMD/CheckStyle)
- speedup the add/modify/modifyDN operations
- remove the brutal synchronization we hav in the backend and replace it
with something more convenient (either an optimistic concurrent locking,
or a MVCC system based BTree). We are still investigating this area atm.

That's pretty much it, from the insight I have, sorry if I missed something.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,