directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wrong interface or dead code
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 08:55:50 GMT

On 05/19/10 10:39, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> On 5/19/10 7:06 AM, Felix Knecht wrote:
>>
>> In following methods exists either dead code or the method parameter is
>> wrong defined (name is per definition always of instance X and never
>> something else). As I don't now if there are somewhere missing testcases
>> or not I'm not sure, which is the case and if the method footprint has
>> to be fixed or if the code can be eliminated.
>>
> I'm not sure I understand the problem... Are those methods never used
> anywhere ?

If they are never used I don't now, but to show the problem:

- - The param 'name' is defined as 'DN' (in the methods parameters).
- - The "if (name instanceOf DN)" doesn't make sense, because it must be
instanceOf DN. Otherwise this method isn't called.

Conclusion:
- - Either we can drop the if and the content of the else
- -or the methods parameter is wrong and should be
public DN addAllNormalized( int posn, Object name )
and then the else may throw the LdapInvalidDnException

964     public DN addAllNormalized( int posn, DN name ) throws
LdapInvalidDnException
965     {
966         if ( name instanceof DN )
967         {
968             DN dn = (DN)name;
969
970             if ( ( dn == null ) || ( dn.size() == 0 ) )
971             {
972                 return this;
973             }
974
975             // Concatenate the rdns
976             rdns.addAll( size() - posn, dn.rdns );
977
978             if ( StringTools.isEmpty( normName ) )
979             {
980                 normName = dn.normName;
981                 bytes = dn.bytes;
982                 upName = dn.upName;
983             }
984             else
985             {
986                 normName = dn.normName + "," + normName;
987                 bytes = StringTools.getBytesUtf8( normName );
988                 upName = dn.upName + "," + upName;
989             }
990         }
991         else
992         {
993             if ( ( name == null ) || ( name.size() == 0 ) )
994             {
995                 return this;