directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add perf issues
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 08:31:31 GMT
On 5/10/10 10:03 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> I'm starting to look into the switch over to using secondary BTree's for
> duplicates after the threshold is reached to make sure this is working
> properly.  I remember having a hard time writing a test case to make sure
> that this switch over occurs before because this switch over is an
> implementation detail internal to the index implementation which is not
> noticeable to the outside world (callers).

What we shoudl also do is to determinate the best value for this
numDuplicate value. It will depend on many factors, and we may want to
be able to run a quick test on a target computer to set it to the best
value.

For instance, I can imagine that the value will be different if the
value is a Long or a String or a RDN. Right now, the default value is
512, and I don't think it fits in all cases.

It would be very convenien to have a CL tool that you can run before
starting the server and on a specific computer/FS will give you the
correct configuration. It will also depend on the underlying partition
(Jdbm, Oracle, etc...)

Just thinking loud here ...

--
Regards,