directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: First steps for our GSoC students
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 05:40:18 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi dev, students,
>
> According to this page [1], we are currently in the "Community Bonding Period" in which
"Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their
projects".
> The official "start coding" date is May 24th.
>
> Stefan and I are both going to co-mentor our projects. We need to see how this can be
done in the GSoC webapp at Google.

> In the mean time, we'd encourage our students to start setting up their project with
a few tasks.

> *Project creation at Google Code*
>
> We think it would be a good idea for both students to start a new project at Google Code
for their proposal. It's still unclear if GSoC students will be given a temporary SVN commit
access on Apache's Infrastructure, so until a decision comes up, we think it's safer to start
working there.
> Of course, please use an Apache License 2.0 while creating your project.
> Also it would interesting for us, mentors, to be able to commit into those projects too,
so give us the appropriate commit access (if possible).
> My personal Google code email address is: pajbam@gmail.com. Unfortunately, I don't know
Stefan's...

stefseel@googlemail.com

> *Getting familiar with the code and technologies*
>
> We'd also encourage our students to start, if that's not already been done before, getting
familiar and playing with the code. This guide [2] will help.
> - Install Subversion, Maven and Eclipse.
> - Checkout and build Studio.
> - Import the projects in Eclipse and start digging in the code to see how it's architectured.
>
> It's also time to get familiar with the technologies involved in the projects: LDAP and
Eclipse Plugin development (with a little bit of Subversion and Maven).
> - Read books about these technologies
> - Code some experiments in a sandbox area in Subversion.

If you need some concrete ideas, it would be good to learn how to plug
into Studio and Eclipse and how to use extension points. You could
create some example plugin that adds a view, an action to a context
menu, or your own wizard to the "File->New" wizard.

> * Collaboration *
>
> Even if IRC or IM are the best for interactivity, it would be better to have most of
the discussions and questions posted on the 'dev' mailing list.
> This way, we can keep things clearly visible and accessible through the archives for
everyone.

> That's all for today.
> Thoughts?

Thanks Pierre-Arnaud!