directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sumit Goyal (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Issue Comment Edited: (DIRAPI-7) Low performance on search operation compared to JNDI (around 5 times slower)
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 04:28:49 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-7?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12860650#action_12860650
] 

Sumit Goyal edited comment on DIRAPI-7 at 4/25/10 12:27 AM:
------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the culprit behind the time difference is the logging output and the processing
wasted in it . Lot of logs with text below are printed while performing our test.

2010-04-24 21:23:16 Asn1Decoder [WARN] The PDU has been fully decoded but there are still
bytes in the buffer.
2010-04-24 21:23:16 Asn1Decoder [WARN] The PDU has been fully decoded but there are still
bytes in the buffer.

I ran your tests on my machine with logging disabled in log4j.properties; and the results
were comparable for both the tests.  Will debug further to see why these logging statements
are coming and if we can do something about them. 

With logging enabled, there was a big time difference between these 2 tests.

I hope the information above was not redundant :(

      was (Author: sumgoyal):
    I believe the culprit behind the time difference is the logging output and the processing
wasted in it . Lot of logs with text below are printed while performing our test.

2010-04-24 21:23:16 Asn1Decoder [WARN] The PDU has been fully decoded but there are still
bytes in the buffer.
2010-04-24 21:23:16 Asn1Decoder [WARN] The PDU has been fully decoded but there are still
bytes in the buffer.

I ran your tests on my machine with logging disabled in log4j.properties; and the results
were comparable for both the tests.  Will debug further to see why these logging statements
are coming and if we can do something about them. 

I hope the information above was not redundant :(
  
> Low performance on search operation compared to JNDI (around 5 times slower)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DIRAPI-7
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-7
>             Project: Directory client API
>          Issue Type: Bug
>            Reporter: Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot
>            Priority: Critical
>             Fix For: 0.2.0
>
>         Attachments: base.ldif, TestWithClientApi.java, TestWithJndi.java
>
>
> While playing with the Client API, I compared the performance of the same search to JNDI.
> With current code, the Client API is unfortunately 5 times slower.
> My test is pretty simple, I'm searching with a Subtree scope on 'dc=example,dc=com' partition
which holds 10 000 users.
> Here are the results:
> - JNDI:
>     Time to create the connection: 90
>     Time to perform the search: 4195
>     Time to close the connection: 1
>     Total time: 4286
> -Client API:
>     Time to create the connection: 399
>     Time to perform the search: 23417
>     Time to close the connection: 33
>     Total time: 23849
> Time is expressed as milliseconds.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message