directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to get Groovy LDAP restarted
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:38:09 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Brett Heroux <brett.j.heroux@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Groovy API, four static methods on a class for accessing LDAP.
>
> According to your mission, you do not want to abstract LDAP, that the end
> result should be similar to the C libraries with a Groovy feel.
>
> I have a couple of observations:
> 1) Grails is THE Groovy application and any successful Groovy library should
> be able to be packaged as a Grails plugin.
> 2) Closures are nice, but the real power of Groovy is in its collections,
> which can be made to look like closures by typing .each
> 3) So far, Groovy LDAP supports basic authentication, a pluggable
> authentication would be nice
> 4) Groovy LDAP doesn't have a caching mechanism, these are easy to implement
> and would also make a nice addition
>
> Finally, I think the mission may be somewhat flawed, JNDI already does this
> and the reason there is interest in an alternative is becauseĀ  people, at
> least, I, want to have an abstraction from LDAP. Writing JNDI or even Spring
> LDAP is tedious, error-prone and time-consuming. A library that doesn't at
> least attempt to abstract those three things away is not going to get my
> interest.
>
> I am interested in your project, and I tried to be constructive. I do have
> some experience with Groovy and LDAP, the yagll (yet another Groovy-LDAP
> library) open source project on codehaus.org is mine and I have worked with
> Spring LDAP, gldapo, JNDI and absolutely love Apache Directory Studio.

We appreciate your feedback. Stefan Zorner is the primary person
working on Groovy LDAP and I am sure he will respond to you more on
these suggestions.

It's nice to have more collaborators working on Groovy and LDAP
integration.  You're always welcome to come and help us improve Groovy
LDAP so it can be the best it can be for all users.

Best Regards,
--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org