directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search performance
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:31:23 GMT
On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
> Ok, I think I got the issue. When doing a "normal" search with a filter like
> (uid=user.9999) the referral interceptor expands that filter to
> (|((uid=user.9999))(objectClass=referral)).
>
> The objectClass index however is a system index and not used by the
> optimizer, see [1] and [2].
>
> It should be easy to fix that, I'll try to fix it, stand by...

Darn I thought we fixed this issue of the optimizer not using the
objectClass by making it a system index.  I guess I'm outdated and
confused on this topic.

Good job though in catching this issue and thanks for the fix.

>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@directory.apache.org/msg27163.html
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1465
>
>> One guess: it may have something to do with referrals. If I add a "-M" to
>> the ldapsearch command (which sends the ManageDsaIT control) the search is
>> faster. I'll try to debug into the server.
>>
>>
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow this is horrendous - what's the cause of this any idea? We were at
>>> 5000K searches per second before.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi dev,
>>>>
>>>> for the ApacheDS 1.5.6 release I created the installers and tested the
>>>> zip
>>>> archive.
>>>>
>>>> I injected an ou and 10000 inetOrgPerson entries [1]. When I run the
>>>> following ldapsearch command it takes approx. one second to get a
>>>> result:
>>>>
>>>> ldapsearch -h localhost -p 10389 -D "uid=admin,ou=system" -w secret -b
>>>> "dc=example,dc=com" -s sub "(uid=user.9999)"
>>>>
>>>> I also used the searchrate tool from slamd and I only get 1 search per
>>>> second:
>>>>
>>>> ./searchrate.sh -h localhost -p 10389 -D "uid=admin,ou=system" -w secret
>>>> -b
>>>> "dc=example,dc=com" -s sub -f "(uid=user.9999)" -t 1
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Then I tried to tune the server: I set -Xmx1024m to give it more Ram.
>>>> And I
>>>> increased the cache size in server.xml [2]. However with searchrate I
>>>> still
>>>> don't get more then 3 searches per second.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I hope that I just forgot some additional tuning parameter.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Kind Regards,
>>>> Stefan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://people.apache.org/~seelmann/com-example-10000.ldif.gz (1MB!)
>>>> [2] http://pastebin.com/xMjR9zrK
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>



-- 
Alex Karasulu
My Blog :: http://www.jroller.com/akarasulu/
Apache Directory Server :: http://directory.apache.org
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Mime
View raw message