directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: About I18n
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:11:09 GMT
On 3/25/10 8:03 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Wow u just described fully and emaculated why this proposal was
> rubbing me the wrong way. I did not have the time to run through a use
> case to see clearly - thanks for doing this and commenting for all our
> benefit.
> No general mechanical procedure makes up for act thought for each
> case. We have to watch for that here.
> I agree with Alan on this one. Let's not further obfuscate our code.
> BTW it's time for a thorough audit of error messages and log output
> since these days many are complaining about false error and excessive
> verbosity without clear meaning.
I agree with Alan. However, I don't blame Felix for having chose this
solution : he had some very good reason to do so :
- having no knowledge about the context, he wasn't able to pick a
correct name for each error
- this was a very painful task, and he did it. It's now our turn to
complete the job

So yes, we should move to Enum, pick correct names for those enum.

This can be done step by step, I don't believe we could spend one full
week in a row doing that.

I remember years ago when we had thousands of string constants all over
the code, and decided that we should gather all those constants in a few
places : it's not completely done, but it took months to do it.

Regarding the numbers, we may remove them, I also agree.

Let's discuss this.--

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message