directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject About I18n
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:24:57 GMT
Hi guys,

Felix has done a tremendous work extracting all the error messages from
the code and gathering them in a sub project (shared-i18n and
apacheds-i18n).

This is just great, but I think we should go a bit further. If we want
to add a new error message, we have to add a new number at the end of
the list. As all the numbers start from 1 and are incremented, it
becomes rapidly difficult to group errors by their numbers (ie, all the
errors between 450 and 460 are related to operation X).

What about defining a number which would inform immediately about the
kind of message we are dealing with ? We can for instance use hex
numbers, where the two higher bits will be used to indicate the log level :
DEBUG = 00XXXXXXXXX...
INFO  = 01XXXXXXXXX...
WARN  = 10XXXXXXXXX...
ERROR = 11XXXXXXXXX...

The idea is that if the number is <0, then it's an error or a warning.

IN the same vein, we can also split the errors by family. As the number
will be an integer, it remains 30 bits to store informations. Assuming
that shared messages are indicated by the bit number 29, then we have a
way to split again :
101xxxxxx = a warning in the shared module
1111xxxxx = an error in the shared module, asn1 subproject...

etc.

wdyt ?

--
Regards,