directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search, list and lookup semantic.
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:39:22 GMT
On 3/1/10 1:44 AM, Howard Chu wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> as I'm trying to remove the JNDI SearchControls from our server, I found
>> three different methods that do a search in the server :
>> - search
>> - lookup
>> - list
>>
>> All those three operations semantic is not exactly clear to me. Let's
>> try to see if they are all useful, and what the semantic is or should be
>> for each of those operations.
>
> It almost sounds like the original X.500 protocol, where List is a
> separate operation from Search. And I would expect Lookup to simply be
> a base-scope operation, i.e., here is a DN, give me the entry.
Sounds a better approach, yes. So Lookup -> OBJECT, no SUBTREE.

Regarding List, yes, the Javadoc reflect the X500 semantic. Not sure we
need it, but it does not hurt to keep it. It's just that I'm not sure
this does not introduce some confusion to our users...

Thanks Howard !

PS : I'm not trying to fix something that work, just trying to polish
the coming API...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,