directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Heroux <brett.j.her...@gmail.com>
Subject Suggestion to get Groovy LDAP restarted
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:41:59 GMT
I have a Groovy API, four static methods on a class for accessing LDAP.

According to your mission, you do not want to abstract LDAP, that the end
result should be similar to the C libraries with a Groovy feel.

I have a couple of observations:
1) Grails is THE Groovy application and any successful Groovy library should
be able to be packaged as a Grails plugin.
2) Closures are nice, but the real power of Groovy is in its collections,
which can be made to look like closures by typing .each
3) So far, Groovy LDAP supports basic authentication, a pluggable
authentication would be nice
4) Groovy LDAP doesn't have a caching mechanism, these are easy to implement
and would also make a nice addition

Finally, I think the mission may be somewhat flawed, JNDI already does this
and the reason there is interest in an alternative is because  people, at
least, I, want to have an abstraction from LDAP. Writing JNDI or even Spring
LDAP is tedious, error-prone and time-consuming. A library that doesn't at
least attempt to abstract those three things away is not going to get my
interest.

I am interested in your project, and I tried to be constructive. I do have
some experience with Groovy and LDAP, the yagll (yet another Groovy-LDAP
library) open source project on codehaus.org is mine and I have worked with
Spring LDAP, gldapo, JNDI and absolutely love Apache Directory Studio.

I wish you luck.

Brett Heroux