directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to get Groovy LDAP restarted
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:09:55 GMT
--On Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:39 PM +0100 Stefan Zoerner <stefan@labeo.de>
wrote:

> The question is: What is the target group of the library? LDAP people
> like us don't want to hide LDAP functionality with a library like JNDI,
> which uses strange names (bind for adding entries, for instance) for
> common functionality.

Also worthy to note that JNDI is in general broken, poorly (if ever)
maintained, and the current people working on it at Sun broke it in the
1.6.0_u17 release, and it remains broken in 1.6.0_u18, because they don't
understand BER.  Thankfully I was able to show them their error, and they
are working on a fix, but I don't know which release will have it.

Anyone I've worked with who uses Java soon abandons JNDI because of these
and other issues (custom controls, new RFC's, etc etc etc etc etc).

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer