directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What about a 1.5.6 soon?
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:47:28 GMT
On 2/24/10 2:36 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> I have done a quick check on the bugs list, and moved all the urgent
>> issues to a 1.5.6 tag. We only have 6 open issues that need love.
>>
>> It has been a long time we haven't released a version, it may be time
>> to cut one, since we have introduced many new things in the server :
>> - new schema handling
>> - lots of bug fixes
>> - new test framework
>> - and many other cool little candies.
>>
>> Let's get those 6 bugs fixed, and cut a release, then focus on the
>> next steps.
>>
>> wdyt ?
>
> +1 to release it.
>
> However I think we should do two releases:
>
> 1st: Branch the 1.5.5 tag, apply the urgent bug fixes (espacially the
> one with growing JDBM store) and release a 1.5.6 form there. This
> would be a pure bug fix release for 1.5.5.
>
> 2nd: Bump the current trunk with all the cool new features to
> 2.0-M1-SNAPSHOT, fix the remaining bugs, and release a 2.0-M1.
>
> My main concern is that we have 126 @Ignored tests in current trunk
> and I have the feeling that there is too much work-in-progress. I just
> want to avoid that 1.5.6 is less stable than 1.5.5.

I' afraid that it will be difficult to split the code in two parts. Most
of the @Ignored tests are in the schema part : we don't anymore support
some operations on schema, like modify, modifyDn.

We should also release more often now, and if we need a 1.5.7 in 2 weeks
when we have fixed some issue, then let's do that.

IMO, 1.5.x are just intermediate releases targetting 2.0.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,