directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Q about some LDAP API data structure
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:20:30 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

On 25 janv. 2010, at 00:41, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> I have some doubt.
>
> yesterday, I created two new sub-projects, ldap-client and kerberos-client. Ldap-client
project depends on shared and apacheds, and is supposed to contain the new LDAP API.

> That being said, I have an issue when dealing with data structure like Control. It's
being used by the client and by the server, but I have to decide where to put it : in shared
or in ldap-client.

> My first impression was hat it should be part of the ldap-client project, but then we
can't manipulate many of the internal shared classes depending on Control (like LDIF classes).

+1, and I think that everything should be gathered inside the same package name for clarity.
Moving back and forth in packages names between the client-api and shared is not very pleasant
from a user POV.

> On the other hand, I can put in in shared, but suddently, it makes the ldap API users'
life miserable, as they now have to deal with two dependencies.

You're right, although it could be easily fixed by providing a complete "shaded" jar containing
all the client and it's dependencies, as we're already doing for the apacheds-all artifact.
But that won't fix the problem of various packages names (o.a.d.shared.* vs o.a.d.ldapclient.*
[or whatever the package name is]).

> I'm now thinking that we should go way farther, and move to ldap-client many more than
just a few classes, keeping in shared just the bare minimal classes common to all the projects.

I think that's the way to go, and I'm also thinking that maybe LDIF should be part of the
client API.
I've seen a lot of friends around me that wanted an easy way to read and handle LDIF records
for their integration with their app.
Maybe it would be good to not restrict the client API to the LDAP protocol only, but also
include a way to read/write/manage LDIF file/record.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

> We also have to create a ldap-server project depending on ldap-client and shared, in
order to provide the strict minimal API for clients.