directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Twix and Snickers must go away...
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:36:02 GMT
Hi guys,

years ago, once upo a time, the red chaperon...
well, when Alex started to work on ADS back in 2001, he knew about
Snacc, an ASN.1 compiler in java. It was not ASL 2.0 compatible, so he
wrote a version of the ASN.1 codec called Snickers (funny word game :
Snacc/Snickers...) and compared the result he got with Snacc.

So far, so good, we had a ASN/1 LDAP codec.

Whe I arrived full of hope, energy and crazyness back in 2005, I started
to write the version we are now using, and I followed the track started
by Alex, so I named this ASN/1 codec 'twix'.

Twix generated messages are used in the codec, and Snickers' ones are
used inside the server. We have a class named TwixTransformer which does
the translation from codec to server messages, and back.

In 2010, when I look back in this code, I'm totally lost. I don't know
which is used in the server, and which is used in the codec.

I will rename all this crap, and Twix messages will become
CodecMessage(s) and SnickersMessage(s) are now InternalMessage(s).

It will be easier for everyone.

Sidenote : even when funny, names are names : they are here to help you
remind what is what. My toilet's bowl's name is 'bowl', not 'sink', for
some obvious reasons.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,