directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] I18n
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:36:02 GMT
Hi,

>> For translation of non error message we have 2 possibilites (because no
>> error code is needed):
>> a) Use the same method as for the error codes and have a MSG_xxx key for
>> each message
>> b) Use inline messages (see also [1])). Doing so the inline messages are
>> used as keys if existing in the i18n-properties file. As translators
>> need to know which inlines can be used as keys the need to be put into
>> the default properties file (but commented) for having a list of
>> available keys
>>
>> What can be the preferable way?
>
> My preference goes to the second solution as I believe it's the same process we're using
for Studio.
> In Studio, we're also using the class name (where the message comes from) as prefix for
the keys which makes it even easier to match strings in the properties file.

The advantage of "b" are the semantic keys which is IMO easier to handle
than the message code keys.

But I'd vote for "a" because its the same method as for error codes and
translators don't have to deal with different file formats.

Kind Regards,
Stefan