directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LDAP Client API project
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:19:38 GMT
Felix Knecht a écrit :

> On 22.01.2010 15:39, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> we have some code in shared for the client API. In order to test it, as
>> we need a running ldap server, the tests have been pushed to a apacheds
>> sub project : ldap-api-test.
>>
>> This was not a good idea. We already have a client project
>> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/clients/trunk/ldap/) containing
>> code for a LDAP client. I suggest we move all the client API code there,
>> tests included, with dependencies on shared and apacheds.
>>
>> We also should make both the kerberos and ldap clients a part of the
>> externals in the main project, so that we immediately see the impact of
>> any modification done in either shared or apacheds.
>>

> So referencing SNAPSHOT-versions of subprojects will be a must. To see
> impacts immediately in the Apache CI we should not have the different
> subprojects like apacheds, shared, daemon, installer, ... but
> trunk-with-dependencies as a the one and only project to build.
> So we have the need to haven SNAPSHOT dependencies in out pom, like
> share-x.x.x-SNAPHOST in the apacheds/pom.xml.
>
> This would be in contradiction of [1]
> "At some point, we may want to decouple the server from the shared
> snapshots to avoid having hundreds of compilation failures in ADS (or in
> Studio)."

Not necessarily. As we are working with externals, we can perfectly
create a trunk-with-tagged project whith references to tagged
shared/client/etc versions.

When developping the server, I want to point on SNAPSHOT for each of the
projects. At some point in the future, I may want to work with a stable
version of shared. I will just have 2 different environment to work on.