directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Config in DIT] Starting
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:20:29 GMT
Hi guys,

so we are done with the new Schema handling (expect some more work
though), and it's time to move to the next step : Config in DIT.

Preamble
--------
The schema branch has been moved to trunk and we can work in trunk for
this task, as the changes won't impact the server until we do the final
movement : switchng from a server.xml file to the configuration partition.

Steps
-----
We have many different steps to get this migration done :
- We have to determinate all the parameters we have to store in the DIT,
and to decide a hierarchy for them.
- Then we have to define the associated schema to store those parameters
into the server
- One crucial thing is to think about the bootstrap part : how should we
read this configuration partition from DIT considering that the server
will need most of it in order to be functional
- Another aspect is to think about the two kind of parameters we will
have to handle : the static one (which won't be changed when the server
has started) and those that can be dynamically reconfigured. One point
is that we may want to be able o stop and start a DirectoryService using
an extended request, as soon as the LdapServer has been started (or the
HttpServer, if we wnt to monitor the full stack using HTTP). I don't
mean it must be there from day one, but I think it's important to keep
this in mind
- We have to think about a tool to convert the old server.xml file to
this new format, assuming that every parameter will be stored as LDIF
file on the disk
- We should also guarantee that any modification done on those LDIF
files will be take into account when the server is stopped and started again
- Ideally, we should manage versions of such a partition, so that it
would be possible to revert any modification (that means we have to
implement a ChangeLog system storing the revisions on disk)
- We also have to think about Studio
- Last, not least, we *have* to document everything about the
configuration parameters !

Agenda
------
I think it's a month work, more or less, with probably a very first
version available very quickly, as we have a lot of component already
there : Stefan has started to wor on the first and second point months
ago, we have a LdifPartition available, the server has been reworked so
that the instanciation and the initialization are now two distinct
parts,  so it may  go fast.

What's next ?
-------------
This is one of the last step before 2.0-RC1, and it has to be done
before replication, because replication need a lot of configuration and
we don't want to loose time and energy to tweak Xbeans and Spring to get
it done. Another mandatory step before 2.0-RC1 is the
Disaster-Recovery-System, which is also a work in progress.

We are close, my friends, we are close, it's not time to let it be !

Many thanks !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,