directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject [Config in DIT] Starting
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:20:29 GMT
Hi guys,

so we are done with the new Schema handling (expect some more work
though), and it's time to move to the next step : Config in DIT.

The schema branch has been moved to trunk and we can work in trunk for
this task, as the changes won't impact the server until we do the final
movement : switchng from a server.xml file to the configuration partition.

We have many different steps to get this migration done :
- We have to determinate all the parameters we have to store in the DIT,
and to decide a hierarchy for them.
- Then we have to define the associated schema to store those parameters
into the server
- One crucial thing is to think about the bootstrap part : how should we
read this configuration partition from DIT considering that the server
will need most of it in order to be functional
- Another aspect is to think about the two kind of parameters we will
have to handle : the static one (which won't be changed when the server
has started) and those that can be dynamically reconfigured. One point
is that we may want to be able o stop and start a DirectoryService using
an extended request, as soon as the LdapServer has been started (or the
HttpServer, if we wnt to monitor the full stack using HTTP). I don't
mean it must be there from day one, but I think it's important to keep
this in mind
- We have to think about a tool to convert the old server.xml file to
this new format, assuming that every parameter will be stored as LDIF
file on the disk
- We should also guarantee that any modification done on those LDIF
files will be take into account when the server is stopped and started again
- Ideally, we should manage versions of such a partition, so that it
would be possible to revert any modification (that means we have to
implement a ChangeLog system storing the revisions on disk)
- We also have to think about Studio
- Last, not least, we *have* to document everything about the
configuration parameters !

I think it's a month work, more or less, with probably a very first
version available very quickly, as we have a lot of component already
there : Stefan has started to wor on the first and second point months
ago, we have a LdifPartition available, the server has been reworked so
that the instanciation and the initialization are now two distinct
parts,  so it may  go fast.

What's next ?
This is one of the last step before 2.0-RC1, and it has to be done
before replication, because replication need a lot of configuration and
we don't want to loose time and energy to tweak Xbeans and Spring to get
it done. Another mandatory step before 2.0-RC1 is the
Disaster-Recovery-System, which is also a work in progress.

We are close, my friends, we are close, it's not time to let it be !

Many thanks !

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message