directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Java 6 for Studio 2.0 was: Java 6 before/after ApacheDS 2.0
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:22:48 GMT
Hi Jeff,

I share the same feeling...

I'd rather stick with a 1.5 JVM as minimal requirement. Actually, the same requirements as
Eclipse, since Studio ships as an RCP app but also as plugins embeddable in Eclipse.

However, maybe it's possible to provide more features if we can detect the JVM we're running
is 1.6 (I'm not sure there's an API for that though).
In that case, we could activate several features, like a scripting console.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 20 nov. 2009, at 09:43, Jeff MAURY wrote:

> I don(t know if this is a requirement for Studio but switching to Java 6 may lead to
problems when using Studio into specific Eclipse configurations (RAD, ...). which may be based
on Java5.

> Regards
> Jeff MAURY
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Ersin ER <ersin.er@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:20, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Ersin,
>
> Ersin ER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The question is simple: are we considering Java 6 as the minimum required JVM version
for ApacheDS 2.0?

> I think the same question is valid for Studio.
>
> especially interested in javax.scripting APIs for the SP subsystem (It needs a serious
review). Also some other related improvements have been

> I think about a scripting console in Studio, in order to create scripts for mass updates
as alternative to the batch operation wizard.