directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Debugging from within Eclipse
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:01:07 GMT
Thomas Sahlin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have checked out apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies and built the Eclipse projects. I've
also imported them into Eclipse without problems.

> Now how do I run the server in debug mode from within Eclipse (if that is possible)?

Sure ! The starting point is a class named UberMain.java. But as we are
using Spring, if you want to step in the real server, the entry point is
the DirectoryService class (assuming you don't want to deal with the
network layer).

In any case, if you want to know what's going on when the server receive
a request, the best is to start the server with UberMain.class, put
breakpoint in the handlers, which can be found in the
apacheds-protocol-ldap project, for instance for any Search request, in
the
org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.ReferralAwareRequestHandler
class, more specifically on the handle( LdapSession session, T req ) method.

As this can be a bit complex, you can also put a breakput a bit lower in
the chain, like in the
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultCoreSession class (you will find
all the kind of requests the server can deal with).

Hope it helps.

PS : You will have to build the server using mvn eclipse:eclipse in
order to have everything setup correctly...
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Sahlin

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny