directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java 6 before/after ApacheDS 2.0
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 04:07:24 GMT
Hi,

I don't really see a lot of benefit we can get from requesting Java 6
for the server. I'm not really sure it worths that pain for our users to
impose them this move.

The situation is that even if Sun/Oracle tries to squeeze money out of
their users by making them pay for support once the EOL is reached, they
won't move all their production applications to Java 6. Java 5 is
probably an asset we have to stand on.

For studio, the situation is a bit different, as it runs locally, and
it's not really an issue to ask for a more recent JVM. However, ask
yourself if this move will bring any advantage...

Regarding the NIO/SSL issues, sadly, those problems are existing with
Java 5, AFAIK. There are addressed by the MINA project (there is a
branch with an experimental solution, we still have to check if the
patch works well).

Jesse McConnell wrote:
> if your using some of the nio bits and pieces in apacheds there are
> some outstanding issues that sun has said they won't be fixing in
> 1.6..we maintain a list of them here:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/JDK1.6+Problems
>
> if your not using any of those bits then I don't see any
> problems...though I thought I read that someone had ported some part
> of ads to mina a while back, not sure which parts though, I just lurk
> on these lists anymore. :)
>
> cheers,
> jesse
>
> --
> jesse mcconnell
> jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com
>

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 17:02, Ersin ER <ersin.er@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The question is simple: are we considering Java 6 as the minimum required
>> JVM version for ApacheDS 2.0?
>>
>> Java 5 has recently reached end of service life (at least at Sun):
>> http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html
>>
>> Although Java 6 does not bring many features that are critical for ApacheDS,
>> it would at least be a more modern JVM. And of course I am especially
>> interested in javax.scripting APIs for the SP subsystem (It needs a serious
>> review). Also some other related improvements have been introduced for JMX,
>> Annotations, Security. See http://java.sun.com/javase/6/features.jsp for
>> more details.
>>
>> After JVM has been open-sourced and integrated into all Linux distributions
>> Java 6 has been mainstream IMO.
>>
>> However if you have any concerns regarding sticking with Java 5, just tell
>> them please.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Ersin Er