Well there you go - the user community saves the day.  Thanks Steve!

Alex

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Hammond, Steven <steve.hammond@polycom.com> wrote:
I would not call it "support" of openfire.  But we do have openfire
configured to use ApacheDS for authentication.

Below is our configuration for openfire.

 <ldap>
   <encloseUserDN>false</encloseUserDN>
   <host>127.0.0.1</host>
   <port>389</port>
   <baseDN>ou=system</baseDN>
   <adminDN>uid=admin,ou=system</adminDN>
   <adminPassword>secret</adminPassword>
   <connectionPoolEnabled>true</connectionPoolEnabled>
   <sslEnabled>false</sslEnabled>
   <debugEnabled>true</debugEnabled>
   <autoFollowReferrals>false</autoFollowReferrals>
   <usernameField>sAMAccountName</usernameField>
   <searchFilter>(objectCategory=person)</searchFilter>
   <vcard-mapping><![CDATA[
<vCard xmlns="vcard-temp">
 <N>
   <GIVEN>{cn}</GIVEN>
 </N>
 <EMAIL>
   <INTERNET/>
   <USERID>{mail}</USERID>
 </EMAIL>
 <FN>{displayName}</FN>
 <ADR>
   <HOME/>
   <STREET>{homePostalAddress}</STREET>
   <PCODE>{homeZip}</PCODE>
   <CTRY>{co}</CTRY>
 </ADR>
 <ADR>
   <WORK/>
   <STREET>{streetAddress}</STREET>
   <LOCALITY>{l}</LOCALITY>
   <REGION>{st}</REGION>
   <PCODE>{postalCode}</PCODE>
   <CTRY>{co}</CTRY>
 </ADR>
 <TEL>
   <HOME/>
   <VOICE/>
   <NUMBER>{homePhone}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TEL>
   <HOME/>
   <CELL/>
   <NUMBER>{mobile}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TEL>
   <WORK/>
   <VOICE/>
   <NUMBER>{telephoneNumber}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TEL>
   <WORK/>
   <CELL/>
   <NUMBER>{mobile}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TEL>
   <WORK/>
   <FAX/>
   <NUMBER>{facsimileTelephoneNumber}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TEL>
   <WORK/>
   <PAGER/>
   <NUMBER>{pager}</NUMBER>
 </TEL>
 <TITLE>{title}</TITLE>
 <ORG>
   <ORGUNIT>{department}</ORGUNIT>
 </ORG>
</vCard>]]></vcard-mapping>
   <nameField>cn</nameField>
   <emailField>mail</emailField>
   <groupNameField>cn</groupNameField>
   <groupMemberField>member</groupMemberField>
   <groupDescriptionField>description</groupDescriptionField>
   <posixMode>false</posixMode>
   <groupSearchFilter>(objectCategory=group)</groupSearchFilter>
 </ldap>